March 26, 2011

Motherhood...Unedited.

Motherhood is bliss...most of the time. I had a doozy of a night last night. After spending a great afternoon/evening at Nana and Papa's house in Federal Way, I loaded the girls into the truck and headed home. The girls had a very long day with lots of excitement and little of our normal routine so I thought for sure they would pass out on the way home and I would get some quiet time to myself. Oh the fool I am! No sooner had we got onto the freeway when suddenly Kate completely blows out her diaper. I mean OUT her diaper. Through her clothes. On the car seat. Everywhere. To make matters worse, we were completely stuck in the middle of Friday-before-spring-break traffic... in a hailstorm! Armed with a meager 10-count travel wipes supply, no way was I going to pull over and try to clean things (and Kate) up. So we just drove on. Imagine if you will, a claustrophobic mommy in a muggy car with the pungent smells of baby crap and...lucky me...leftover fried fish from dinner at Nana and Papa's...wafting through the air. Ellie and I seriously gagged the whole way home (over a half hour drive) while Kate happily applauded her accomplishment. As soon as we got home I had to obviously put Kate straight into the bathtub but this did not go well either. First, we were about an hour and a half past Kate's bedtime and Ellie was next. Jaxie had been home by herself all day and let me know she wanted attention (and dinner) by quite literally sprinting through the house, running into doors, and barking. All the commotion upset Ellie who now was in meltdown mode crying because Jaxie had stepped on her foot, knocked her over, and was scaring her. Where was Kate? Oh yeah, screaming and trying to climb out of the tub because the sight of her poop in the tub freaked her out. So I had to pull her out of the tub and calm her down (in my lap, now half covered with remaining poopy butt) while Ellie was clinging to me crying, "Mommy! Kate is getting all your time and you aren't spending any with me!" Ah, motherhood. Eventually, I got both girls clean, in pj's, and to bed. I snuggled and cuddled Ellie until she felt "filled up with love" and was able to fall asleep. Then I started a load of poopy laundry, scrubbed the bathtub, and then went out to the truck and cleaned that up too. It's nights like that one that make me think being a mom is the absolute toughest job in the world. Still, I wouldn't trade it for any other in the world. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment