December 12, 2008

We Have Arrived

It's official. We have arrived at the terrible twos. Today was pretty much all the proof I needed. Tara came over in the morning and met us for a fun-filled day of shopping. We started with a trip to the coffee shop and then went to the Super Mall. Everything was fine until all of a sudden, Ellie started crying because I said, "Hey Missy? Did you drink Mommy's latte?" (I was smiling, teasing, not scolding, etc). From that moment, I have NEVER seen Ellie act like she did. She WAILED SOOO SOOO SOOO loud in Nordstrom Rack, we had to leave. I thought for sure I might be asked to leave because my child was hurting business. :O I couldn't calm her no matter what I said so we went to the play area hoping to distract her and move on. Ready for this? She lay on the floor kicking and beating fists into carpet (this is like a bad scene from a movie, seriously) and whining. So I said, "Tell mommy when you are done and then we will talk." Tara and I drank our lattes and chatted, all the while Ellie having this tantrum like I have NEVER seen, and the other moms looking at me like I win Poster Mom for Mommy of a Two Year Old. Finally, after what seemed like FOREVER, she quit for a minute so I picked her up, hugged her, and put her in the stroller. Of course, it all started again. Wailing, kicking, swatting the air, etc. I couldn't believe it. She WOULD NOT STOP no matter what I did/said/did not do/ etc. So I told Tara, "Sorry, but we have to leave." I told Ellie that her behavior was unacceptable and if she continued we would go home, so what else could I do? I had to follow through. She cried all the way to the car (people still staring at me) and halfway home until she fell asleep and then napped for almost 3 hours. BIZARRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know what the issue was. She was overtired??? She woke up a bit congested so maybe on the brink of a cold/not feeling well? Who knows! I was just in total shock at her behavior. She is so articulate that we have NEVER had to have a moment like that because we always talk things out. Honestly, I saw a pregnant girl watch us as we were leaving and I literally could see her thinking, "Oh God, what did I get myself into?" On the plus side, while she slept, I was able to get some Christmas wrapping done, read a book, and take a nap by the fire. Another bizarre "this never happens" moment. When she woke up, we had lunch and went to Fred Meyer. Dan was home so we got to spend several hours with him so that was a highlight. And that was pretty much my day. Pretty lame except for the coffee in the morning (mmmmm...thanks Tara!) and the time with Dan in the evening. I am currently roasting my THIRD chicken this evening (making four batches of Enchiladas) and about to paint my nails "Lincoln Park After Dark" while watching a Lifetime Christmas Special. Not a bad way to end the evening in my opinion. :) Sorry no pictures. A) You definitely would not want to see the monster child I dealt with this morning and B) I would REALLY have gotten some stares if I chose Ellie's tantrum as a Kodak moment! Hope your day was smoother than mine. :) Love to All, Ang

3 comments:

  1. Well I am not surprised....either Nicholas is becoming autistic with uncontrolled tantrums as well or he too is acting two (although he is already 3) Lucky for the two of them that they are so cute and loved so much I would say! Have a better day and tell Ellie to come to mema's house it is decorated now and ready for the angel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ummmmm lincoln park after dark is one of my favorite nail colors!

    also, i love that you thought of what that pg girl was thinking... ha!! thank god for the 3 hour nap though! ;)

    ReplyDelete