February 22, 2008

Bye Bye Winter!

(Daddy's little girl)

(Ellie taking pictures of the elephants with her camera)



(She still insists on wearing her snow boots)



(Ellie helping Dan blow up her ball pit)


I hope that most of you have been enjoying the same kind of sunshine that we have had here in Milton this past week. The weather has been crisp but sunny and so refreshing. Finally! I used to love winter and offered no complaints on rainy/snowy days because it meant I could snuggle up with a good book, a hot cup of tea, and a great playlist. My-oh-my how things change! I am learning that winter with a toddler is completely different! The only book I seem to get through these days is Good Night Gorilla. Obviously, a scolding hot cup of anything is out of the question and my music is slowly being replaced with "Morning Train Ride" or Raffi's "Shake a Toe." We have had to get pretty creative these days... lots of homemade forts, carpet picnics, and hide and seek... and it has been fun, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't counting every second until spring! Lucky for us, it seems to have showed up a bit early and just in time! Yesterday, Ellie helped me in the yard (she is a very good sweeper) and we went for a very long walk in the sun. We stopped at the park and tried out the slide a few thousand times and threw the ball for Jaxie until we were all pooped and went home for a good nap. Today, Dan and I took Ellie to the zoo. It couldn't have been a better visit. The elephants were out and very sociable and the primates had their afternoon feeding. Ellie loved every second of it but was completely enamored with the peacocks. They roam freely and Ellie got to see them up close and personal. She now says "peacock" perfectly. :)

I can't believe that Ellie is almost 18 months old. Every day I become more acutely aware that my "baby" is a toddler. I relish every little moment that I get to hold her, rock her, etc. She is talking up a storm, full phrases now, and surprises us all the time with what she understands. Dan will tell me a story about something that happened during the day with Ellie, and she will interject with a word or phrase that lets us know she knows exactly what is being said. She loves phrases like "see ya" and "ok mama". Amazing. Obviously, I know that all babies learn how to talk and understand at some point but it is nevertheless surprising, miraculous, and awesome just the same.

Well, we leave for Mexico next week and will really get a good dose of sunshine then! I am so excited. I already packed our suitcase (admittedly, almost a week ago!). Until then, we have several days with Dan off work so lots of yard work and play days await. Love to all.

2 comments:

  1. glad you are already packed for mexico - there is no such thing as packing too early for a sunny vacation! i'm excited to see the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you guys have been having a great time in the sun. I can see how winter isn't as cozy anymore with a toddler around! I love her little pig tails, they are adorable.

    ReplyDelete