April 12, 2010

Kate is Born!

Kate Elizabeth was born April 10, 2010! We are FINALLY home and I am going to do my best to share the highlights of our very intense but wonderful birth story. I woke up Saturday night at 1:37am because my water broke. Dan and I immediately called the hospital and got ready to go. I wasn't having contractions yet so we were fairly calm and didn't actually leave the house until 2:20. Once we got to the hospital, the contractions were strong but nothing I couldn't handle. By the time I was in a hospital gown and in the delivery room, the contractions were ridiculously tough and I started BEGGING for an epidural. In the next second, I had the worst contraction of my life, knew I had to push and could actually feel the head already crowning. I can't even relate the pain or fear I felt as I realized it was too late for any kind of pain relief. Apparently, I screamed some pretty fierce screams! I pushed Kate halfway out before the nurses even realized what was happening! They delivered her the rest of the way and I went into shock. THEN the doctor showed up! She was at the front desk, heard my screams, came in to help, and still was too late. That fast! So Kate was actually delivered by the nurses and fortunately there were no complications in the whole ordeal. Praise God! Kate was born 8 pounds, 1 ounce; 20 and 1/4 inches long at 3:37am. And all the while, Ellie was asleep so we didn't have to disrupt her routine at all. I have to say I LOVED how fast labor went and that I was so lucid (as was Kate) quickly after but I NEVER could have imagined that amount of pain. It was/is inexplicable. I cannot complain though! Dan and my sister Lisa were the most AMAZING labor coaches ever. I think if they had not been there, I can honestly say I might not have lived through the experience! Kate is perfect. She is so healthy...passed all tests with highest scores, has beautiful coloring, and eats, sleeps, and poops like a champ. :) So far, the verdict is that Kate has my eyes, furrowed brow, and hair (I had the same full head of dark hair when I was born) and round face, Dan's mouth and Ellie's nose. She is simply gorgeous....just like her big sister! A big thank you to everyone who came to visit or sent well wishes! Kate is really loved! I will share MANY more pics in days to come but for now, here are a few of my favorites. Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Serious Angela You are Amazing !! Even tho I check every day I so was not expecting your update on the Blog yet!!! But o I does Love it sooo!!! Amazing Pictures both on your Blog and Dan's FB I am a Blubbering mess here as each picture so captures incredible moments in time!!! You look amazing for just giving birth!! Can;t wait to see and hold Kate again and give Big Sis a big hug too!! How proud does she look in all the pictures!! Thank You Thank You for updating so quick!!! You guys sure know how to make Beautiful Babies!!! Love ya all smoodles!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make beautiful babies- keep them coming :) Ellie and Kate are so precious- I"m such a lucky Auntie :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. welcome to the world baby kate! xoxo auntie rin

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE LOVE LOVE HER!! I cant wait to hold her again!!!! All our love to you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing birth story, i love it! she is simply gorgeous. that last photo is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great birth story. I am so glad everything worked out so perfectly. Yeah. I can't wait to meet the beautifuly little lady. Ellie is a great big sister. What a beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete